HRM 500 All Weeks Discussions
Week 1 Discussion
“HRM and Organizational Performance” Please respond to the following:
- From the scenario, propose two (2) strategies that you as a HR manager will use to determine if employees have the specific skills needed to fill a position.
- Select one (1) of the following functional areas of Human Resources that you would consider pursuing as a career: Employment, Employee Relations, Training/Development, Compensation, Benefits, or Labor Relations. Specify two (2) skills you currently possess and two (2) that you will need to develop in order to be successful in your chosen area. Provide support for your answer.
Week 2 Discussion
- From the scenario, propose two (2) adjustments that you as a HR manager can make to support the changes related to high-performance work systems, technological changes, and a change in the employment relationship. Justify your response.
- Imagine that you work for an organization that decided to move its operations to another country due to decreased costs of employee salary and operational expenses. Examine two (2) forces that would cause a company to want to move their operational structure to another country
Week 3 Discussion
- From the e-Activity, examine two (2) methods of job analysis described in the video. Then, determine the purpose and the expected outcome for each method. Justify your response.
- From the scenario, propose two (2) work / life balance programs that will support these professionals, and determine how you would ascertain the needs of the workplace
Week 4 Discussion
“Selection Process” Please respond to the following:
- From the e-Activity, determine two (2) disadvantages resulting from placing the right people into the wrong job. Next, provide two (2) HRM selection decisions that an organization can use to mitigate this issue. Justify your response.
- Determine the top-two (2) aspects of the selection process that you would focus on when selecting candidates for positions in an organization where you work or another company where you are familiar, and explain your rationale.
Week 5 Discussion
“Performance Management” Please respond to the following:
- From the scenario, propose two (2) approaches that a company can use to leverage a 360-degree performance appraisal system to evaluate individual performance. Support your answer with examples.
- From the e-Activity and the text, determine two (2) examples of possible repercussions of not providing employees with performance feedback in a timely manner. Justify your response.
Week 6 Discussion
- From the scenario and the first e-Activity, predict two (2) changes that will occur in the next five (5) years in relation to the 60 percent participation rate of women in the workforce.
- From the second eActivity, recommend the psychological test that you believe is most appropriate for selecting the right candidate for a management position within an organization for which you have worked or with which you are familiar. Justify your recommendation.
Week 7 Discussion
- From the e-Activity, compare the salaries for the same job in two (2) different geographic locations within the United States. Speculate on two (2) economic influences that may impact the pay difference in the two (2) geographic areas you selected. Propose two (2) ways an organization can respond to these conditions. Justify your response.
- From the scenario, examine two (2) strategies that organizations use to combine incentive plans in a balanced scorecard. Provide two (2) examples in which the balanced scorecard measures performance linked to a company’s long-term goals.
Week 8 Discussion
“Unions and Collective Bargaining” Please respond to the following:
- From the scenario and the eActivity, examine two (2) reasons why employees join labor unions. Examine two (2) reasons why organizations prefer that unions do not represent their employees. Suggest two (2) benefits that unions can provide for an employer. Justify your response.
- Examine two (2) legal responsibilities that employers have when dealing with labor unions. Suggest two (2) ways in which management and unions might work together to craft mutually beneficial contracts. Provide a rationale for your response.
Week 9 Discussion
“HRM and the Global Environment” Please respond to the following:
- From the e-Activity, recommend two (2) actions that HR managers can take in order to prepare their employees for work in a foreign country. Justify your response.
- From the scenario, select a country then examine an issue that may occur during the HR planning process when employees are transferred to work as expatriates. Provide the solution to the issue.
Week 10 Discussion
- As a HR manager, provide an example of an organization you worked for or familiar with and explain how the organization maintained a high performance work system. Justify your response.
- From the scenario and the e-Activity, suggest two (2) actions you can take in order to contribute to high performance within your company. Provide support for your response.
Week 11 Discussion
- You have now completed HRM 500! In your own words, explain the importance of HRM to any organization then determine a HRM function that interest you as a future career. Explain your rationale
- Explore the Society of Human Resource Management website http://www.shrm.org/pages/default.aspx, explain the importance of receiving a student membership. Then, provide one (1) HR certification that will enhance your future career choice. Justify your response.