calculate annual returns for Goodman Landry and the Market Index
Question: calculate annual returns for Goodman, Landry, and the Market Index
Chapter 6 Problem 15
- Use the data given to calculate annual returns for Goodman, Landry, and the Market Index, and then calculate average returns over the five-year period. (Hint: Remember, returns are calculated by subtracting the beginning price from the ending price to get the capital gain or loss, adding the dividend to the capital gain or loss, and dividing the result by the beginning price. Assume that dividends are already included in the index. Also, you cannot calculate the rate of return for 2010 because you do not have 2009 data.)
- Calculate the standard deviation of the returns for Goodman, Landry, and the Market Index. (Hint: Use the sample standard deviation formula given in the chapter, which corresponds to the STDEV function in Excel.)
- Construct a scatter diagram graph that shows Goodman’s and Landry’ returns on the vertical axis and the Market Index’s returns on the horizontal axis.
- Estimate Goodman’s and Landry’s betas as the slopes of regression lines with stock returns on the vertical axis (y-axis) and market return on the horizontal axis (x-axis). (Hint: use Excel’s SLOPE function.) Are these betas consistent with your graph?
- The risk-free rate on long-term Treasury bonds is 6.04%. Assume that the market risk premium is 5%. What is the expected return on the market? Now use the SML equation to calculate the two companies’ required returns.
- If you formed a portfolio that consisted of 50% Goodman stock and 50% Landry stock, what would be its beta and its required return?
- Suppose an investor wants to include Goodman Industries’ stock in his or her portfolio. Stocks A, B, and C are currently in the portfolio, and their betas are 0.769, 0.985, and 1.423, respectively. Calculate the new portfolio’s required return if it consists of 25% of Goodman, 15% of Stock A, 40% of Stock B, and 20% of Stock C.
Trackbacks and pingbacks
... [Trackback] [...] Here you will find 4663 additional Info on that Topic: wiseamerican.us/calculate-annual-returns-goodman-landry-market-index/ [...]
RCA HDP50 manuals
... [Trackback] [...] Info to that Topic: wiseamerican.us/calculate-annual-returns-goodman-landry-market-index/ [...]
Ditch Witch JT922 manuals
... [Trackback] [...] There you will find 32789 more Info on that Topic: wiseamerican.us/calculate-annual-returns-goodman-landry-market-index/ [...]