ACCT 540 DeVry All Week On Site Activity Point
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 1 On Site Activity Point
Week One Class Activity
1. Explain how the research process adds value to the services offered by an accounting firm.
2. What consequences are considered in the standard-setting process?
3. Explain the importance of identifying keywords when identifying relevant facts and issues.
4. Explain the five basic steps involved in the research process.
5. Discuss how research can support or refute a biased alternative.
6. Explain what is meant by problem distillation and its importance in the research process.
7. What skills are important and tested on the CPA exam?
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 2 On Site Activity Point
Problem Identification and Research Questions
Rewrite the following sentences into shorter, more concise sentences while maintaining the main points of the sentence.
- For good reasons, the secretary may grant extensions of time in 30-day increments for filing of the lease and all required bonds, provided that additional extensions requests are submitted and approved before the expiration of the original 30 days or the previously granted extension.
- If the State agency finds that an individual has received a payment to which the individual was not entitled, whether or not the payment was due to the individual’s fault or misrepresentation, the individual shall be liable to repay to the State the total sum of the payment to which the individual was not entitled.
- Universities differ greatly in style, with some being located on out of town campuses in parkland, others having buildings scattered about parts of city centers and others being at various points between these two extremes.
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 3 On Site Activity Point
Identification of Key Search Criteria
What are the implications of GAAP and authoritative support to the researcher?
1. To conduct efficient research, where should one start in reviewing the accounting literature in search of a solution to a problem?
2. How can the promulgation of an accounting standard impact economic behavior? Discuss a specific example.
3. Distinguish between primary authoritative support and secondary authoritative support. EXERCISES
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 4 On Site Activity Point
1. Access the IASB Web site (.iasb.org/”>www.iasb.org) and list three of its active projects.
2. Access the SEC Web site (.sec.gov/”>www.sec.gov), click International Affairs, International Enforcement Assistance, and list the four types of enforcement cases.
3. Access the AICPA IFRS resource page (.ifrs.com/”>www.IFRS.com). What are two featured IFRS news items?
4. Access the IOSCO Web site (.iosco.org/”>www.IOSCO.org), click the About IOSCO section, and list the working committees.
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 5 On Site Activity Point
Organizing Your Research and Additional Research Tools
Week Five Class Activity
1.What are the advantages of S&P’s Net Advantage?
2.When would one use Mergent Online?
3.What does the Thomson Research database cover?
4.When would one use the Factiva database
5.What insight is offered by the Business and Company Resource database?
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 6 On Site Activity Point
Tax and Auditing Research, Recommendations, and Conclusions
Explain the difference between tax evasion, tax avoidance, and abusive tax avoidance.
2.Identify tax research goals.
3.Identify and explain the basic steps of the tax research process.
4.Discuss the challenges in tax research.
5.Distinguish between tax compliance and tax planning.
6.Identify the differences between a Treasury Regulation and a Revenue Ruling.
7. Explain the meaning of the term precedent for tax research.
8. What does it mean when the IRS announces a nonacquiescence?
ACCT 540 DeVry Week 7 On Site Activity Point
Communicating Your Research
1. Explain two ways to collect evidence.
2. How are keywords used to evaluate and collect evidence?